Although it is a large contributor, the gym is not the only thing required to become healthier. Here are 7 tips – some of which you may overlook – that will help you achieve your goal this year of becoming more active and healthier, which will naturally lead to shedding some unwanted pounds:
- Taking the bus or skytrain to work instead of driving – all that walking really does wonders over a period of time
- Drinking water instead of coffee/juice/pop at work – that sugar adds to unwanted calories, and it does add up
- Eat breakfast to keep your metabolism running higher (not in starvation mode) and so you don’t binge during lunch
- Snack on nuts and fruits which have good protein fats and sugars that will keep you full until your next meal
- When you’re opting for a salad instead of fries, ask for a lighter dressing because restaurant salads may be soaked in creamy dressing which is pretty much equivalent to having those fries.
- Pack a lunch for work, so you can control how much you are eating and so you know exactly what you are putting into your body. A good idea is a homemade sandwich with some yogurt and/or fruits as your dessert. This will keep you full, which is a good thing so that you don’t snack on small things here and there in the afternoon and leading to dinner. Small snacks are the worst! You don’t think they’re a lot, but they creep up on you.
- Take up a fun activity or hobby you can do at least three times a week: yoga, pilates, spin class, dance class, rock climbing, dodgeball or volleyball leagues, aerobics class – all of these are the trendy activities popular among today’s young professionals. Personally, I enjoy going for runs with Elroy as much as I can; exercise is guaranteed to make my day so much better.
I’ve shared these tips because I plan on following them myself this year, mainly the part about not snacking too much during the day… (as they say, practice what you preach)! Rather than just wanting to lose weight, I think a more tangible goal is to become healthier overall and become more active on a daily basis. Have fun! Not only will it make your goal easier to achieve, you’re guaranteed to have more energy and feel better about yourself.
Good luck with those New Year’s resolutions and goals!